The Classical Association of South Africa, 1908 - 1956

W.J. Henderson

Abstract


This report on the existence and activities of the Classical Association of South
Africa which have recently come to light (in the case of the 1908-1910 CASA) or
more prominently to the fore (in the case of the 1927-1956 Association), is a
prequel to earlier ones for the period 1956 to 1981.1 The present account is based
mainly on a Minute Book for the Stellenbosch Branch of the Classical Association
of South Africa, which was founded in August 1927, was active until September
1935, was resucitated in May 1952 and, despite sporadic efforts to keep it alive,
was defunct by 1955. As in the case of its predecessors, this report concentrates on
the people who were involved with the Association and thus deserve recognition,
and also on the structures, activities and spirit that preceded and also left their mark
on the later Association.

Full Text:

PDF


DOI: https://doi.org/10.7445/58-0-150

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.



ISSN 2079-2883 (online); ISSN 0303-1896 (print)

Powered by OJS and hosted by Stellenbosch University Library and Information Service since 2011.

http://akroterion.journals.ac.za/public/site/images/scholar/g3010_768

Disclaimer:

This journal is hosted by the SU LIS on request of the journal owner/editor. The SU LIS takes no responsibility for the content published within this journal, and disclaim all liability arising out of the use of or inability to use the information contained herein. We assume no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any breaches of agreement with other publishers/hosts.

SUNJournals Help